The Port Network Authority of the North Tyrrhenian Sea since 2016 gathers the ports of Livorno, Piombino, Portoferraio, Rio Marina, Cavo and Capraia. While the last three are mainly ferries ports, Livorno, Piombino and Portoferraio are concerned also by cruise traffic (Livorno and Piombino being also commercial ports). The threeport infrastructure includes around 10 quays dedicated to cruise traffic of approximately 5 km of total length of quays, connected to the rail and road network and served by two major international airports (Pisa and Firenze).

Livorno is the natural gateway to Tuscany, only 70 minutes far from Firenze and 20 from Pisa by car/bus/train. Porto di Livorno 2000 S.r.l. (72% of shares owned by the Port Authority, 28% by the Chamber of Commerce) is the limited company concessionaire of piers and areas, managing the passenger ships (ferry & cruise) in the Port of Livorno. The Passenger Port is located in the heart of the Medicean Port, near the Old Fortress, a 16th century monument where cultural and artistic events happen and next to the old District “Venezia” with its system of canals and bridges, within walking distance of downtown. A second fully equipped terminal (at the Alto Fondale quay) can receive the megaships, while the luxury ships berth in the Medicean Port. The excellent connections through Pisa Airport make Livorno the ideal port for turnarounds. World famous vineyards in Bolgheri village, beaches, natural parks, Etruscan and Roman ruins represent interesting alternatives to classic Tuscany tours to the art cities of Pisa, Firenze, Lucca, etc.

The port of Piombino is able to host the biggest cruise ships, offering the possibility to discover the natural beauties of southern Tuscany (Baratti, Populonia, Parco Minerario S. Silvestro, etc.). Tuscany Terminal Company operates the Piombino cruise traffic.

Portoferraio is the capital of Elba, the largest island in the Tuscan archipelago. The Deepwater quay, where cruise ships call, is close to the historic centre of this Medicean town, with places redolent of Napoleonic memories. In fact, in 1814/1815 the island was the home in exile of Napoleone Bonaparte. The 27 kilometres of Elba’s coasts consist of uncontaminated natural countryside: from jagged coasts to beaches of rock and sand, to mountain landscapes of the inland, with extensive sporting and leisure facilities (golf, horse riding, scuba diving, water-skiing, etc.)

 

 

 

Subscribe to MedCruise Newsletter