Livorno Port for Tuscany – is mainly a destination port but partial turn-around calls are increasing constantly. In 2018 Livorno port registered 354 calls and 786,136 cruise passengers, 10,500 of them embarking and disembarking. For 2019, the prospects indicate an increase to 384 calls for about 820,000 passengers with same volume of turn-arounds. For 2020 new bigger ships are scheduled for a total of 377 calls and a further increase to more than 900.000 passengers. The number of smaller, luxury ships berthing at the ‘Medici Port’ and overnight calls are also constantly increasing. The calls are distributed all year round and the high season includes the months from May to October with almost the same number of passengers in transit and in partial turn-around. April and November grew almost equally in the last years and 11 are the calls expected for December. The port for Tuscany is highly attractive for the major cruise lines as the art cities offer different opportunities and more relaxed atmospheres in fall and in the Christmas period.
On May 2019 the company Porto di Livorno 2000 srl was privatized being the 66% of the shares acquired by a joint venture between ferry operator Onorato Group and MSC Cruises, who are programming huge investments in the terminal (the remaining 34% of the shares is divided equally between Livorno Port Authority Network and the Chamber of Commerce). In facts the Port Authority and the Municipality of Livorno approved a project to almost double the passenger port areas providing new docks and terminals dedicated to cruise. The priority was given to the berths for cruise ships in the Alto Fondale pier, where an existing warehouse was already restructured, creating a new terminal for the mega cruise ships, with wide spaces and equipment for the turn-arounds. A second terminal is located in the heart of the ‘Medici Port’, near one of the most impressive 16th century monuments, the Fortezza Vecchia, where cultural and artistic activities happen.While the new investments are taking place, Livorno offer at Calata Alto Fondale and Molo Italia three berths where cruise ships have priority with no length limitation and maximum draft allowable m. 12. In facts at the end of 2017 Livorno Port Authority completed the dredging and enlarging of the access canal to the port to 15 m water depth for the whole width of the canal.
Passengers can use the Port of Livorno shuttle-bus service from the berths to the city centre, passing through the old town and its system of canals and bridges. At walking distance from the bus stop it is possible to visit: the antique market; small Cantinas alongside the canals, oﬀering the typical ﬁsh soup Cacciucco; various museums and art exhibitions.
Pisa International Airport, located only a few km from Livorno, is well connected to many European destinations: Porto 2000 and Pisa Airport joined to ensure passengers the integrated transfer to and from the port.
The splendid art cities of Florence, Pisa, Siena and Lucca, can be reached quickly from Livorno’s berths. World famous vineyards in Bolgheri, beaches, natural parks and Etruscan ruins represent alternatives to classic Tuscany tours